Faculty Activities & Publications | March 2013
| April 5, 2013
Professor Kathryn J. Kennedy
- Her article “Prime ERISA Areas for Supreme Court’s Review,” was published in 54 TAX MGMT MEMO 55 (Feb. 25, 2013). The piece focuses on four areas in need of Supreme Court review: scope of evidence considered in a benefits denial claim under the de novo standard of review; the standard of review in a breach of fiduciary claim involving stock drop litigation of employer stock plans; an employer’s modification or termination of retiree health coverage; and a plan administrator’s enforcement of a subrogation clause under an ERISA health care plan.
- Her piece “A Current Update of EPCRS Through Rev. Proc. 2013-12,” was published in 41 TAX MGMT COMP. PLANN. J. 35 (Mar. 1, 2013). It updates practitioners for changes to the IRS’ three correction programs applicable to retirement plans receiving favorable tax treatments.
Professor Ann Lousin
- She appeared as a guest on “The Professors” on airing at 10:30 a.m. Sundays on WYCC-TV, Channel 20. The discussion on March 3 was “Violence in the Media—What Can Be Done?” and on March 10 the topic was “Concealed Carry Gun Laws—What are the Ramifications?”
Professor Steven Schwinn
- The week of March 25, he discussed the California Prop 8 case argued before the U.S. Supreme Court for “The Morning Briefing” on Sirius XM Radio, the new New York state gun laws for Law 360; was a guest on the “Afternoon Shift” on Chicago Public Radio discussing cases argued before the U.S. Supreme Court; and a guest on “Chicago Tonight” on Chicago Public Television discussing gay marriage arguments before the court.
Professor Mark Wojcik
- He was a guest on “Beyond the Beltway” show on WLS-Radio on March 31, 2013, discussing the same-sex marriage cases argued this week before the U.S. Supreme Court. A portion of the program was re-aired on WYCC-TV.